CONSTRUCTION METHOD DO YOU USE?
Our unique and beautiful handcrafted log homes are constructed
using an average size diameter of 14", full length full round log
(16" to 24" logs are also available). We use a Swedish cope,
full scribe method, with a shrink to fit Norwegian saddle notched
corner. A V-shaped lateral is cut out along the length,
which is filled with fiberglass insulation. This is a
chinkless style log home construction, with the option of adding
chinking if desired.
WHAT TYPE OF LOGS DO YOU USE?
Engleman Spruce are the most
common type of logs we use. Lodge Pole Pine, Douglas Fir and
Western Cedar are also available. The logs we use are old
growth timber that has been harvested in the winter months when
the sap is low. They are then dry seasoned for twelve to
eighteen months until the moisture content is between fifteen and
nineteen percent. Our logs are then hand peeled with a
drawknife for a very clean and natural looking log.
WHAT FASTENS THE LOGS
Threaded steel through-bolts
with springs are used at all corners, sides of all door openings,
and at all log ends, such as large openings or archways.
Steel drift pins are also used as required according to plan.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN A LOG
All log work as specified in
the plan is included. This includes:
- CAREFULLY SELECTED, WINTER CUT "OLD GROWTH" ENGLEMAN SPRUCE OR LODGE POLE PINE LOGS FROM BRITISH COLUMBIA'S DRY BELT AREA. AVERAGE SIZE 14" IN MEAN DIAMETER.
- FULL LENGTH LOGS ARE USED IN OUR CONSTRUCTION FOR SUPERIOR STRENGTH, WHICH ALSO ELIMINATES UNSIGHTLY AND DRAFTY BUTT JOINTS.
- LOG WALLS BUILT TO SPECIFIED HEIGHTS (AVERAGE 9'-6' HIGH ON FIRST FLOOR).
- LOG FLOOR JOISTS SYSTEM TO SUPPORT SECOND FLOOR LOFT. NOTCHED INTO WALLS AND PRE-FLATTENED ON TOP TO ACCEPT SECOND FLOOR AND FRAMING.
- LOG PURLINS TO SUPPORT THE ROOF SYSTEM AS REQUIRED ACCORDING TO PLAN. ALL PRECUT TO EXACT ROOF PITCH.
- WINDOW AND DOOR OPENINGS ARE CUT OUT AND KEY WAYED, NOTCHED BACK AND FLARED READY FOR EASY WINDOW AND DOOR INSTALLATION.
- ALL LOG ENDS ARE SANDED, CHAMFERED AND CURLED.
- LOG STAIRS & LANDINGS, LOG PICKET HAND RAILINGS PRE-ASSEMBLED FOR STAIRS, LOFT, AND BALCONIES AS REQUIRED ACCORDING TO PLAN.
- ARCHWAYS, AND LOG TRUSSES AS SPECIFIED ACCORDING TO PLAN.
- THROUGH BOLTS W/SPRINGS AND DRIFT PINS ARE INCLUDED, THROUGH BOLT AND DRIFT PIN HOLES DRILLED AS SPECIFIED.
- ONE EXPERIENCED ORIGINAL LOG HOMES PERSONNEL TO SUPERVISE THE RE-ERECTION OF THE LOG SHELL PACKAGE ON YOUR PREPARED FOUNDATION AND SUB FLOOR. (THIS REQUIRES APPROX. 2 FULL WORKING DAYS ON AN AVERAGE 2000-2400 SQ. FT. LOG SHELL).
IS THERE A CREW AVAILABLE
TO REASSEMBLE THE LOG PACKAGE?
Our experienced crew has
been re-erecting log homes in the Western Pennsylvania area since
1986, and is available to re-erect your log package for
approximately $1,000.00 per truck load (plus expenses as
ARE CUSTOM HOMES
Original Log Homes has been
a handcrafted log home builder since 1967. Each log home we
build is unique in it's style, size and beauty. Each log
home is built according to plans, in one of our four building
yards, then numbered and shipped to you, and is ready for
reassembly. We do have a plan book available, with thirty
log home designs for you to choose from or modify to fit your
needs. We also have a design staff to help you with a
completely unique log home.
CAN I HAVE A COMPLETE
LOG HOME BUILT BY ORIGINAL LOG HOMES EAST?
We have finished many homes in and around the Ellwood City, PA
area (about a one hour radius) over the past eighteen years in the
business. We would be glad to consider a complete project in
our area, and happy to quote a price on your complete project.
WHAT IS AN AVERAGE LOG
SHELL PACKAGE COST?
An average 2,000 square foot
log shell package, including all the log work only, costs an
estimated $35-$45.00 per square foot. The cost is dependent
on the lineal feet of log, number of corners, number of window and
door openings, and features, such as log stairs, log hand
railings, log trusses, archways, etc.
WHAT ABOUT SHIPPING AND
Original Log Homes are
shipped worldwide. The shipping can be arranged for you at
an approximate cost of $3.50 a loaded mile (for example: from
British Columbia, Canada to Western Pennsylvania, the cost would
be approximately $5,200 per truck load). An average 2,000
square foot home would require two trucks. A crane with a
100' stick is required to re-erect the log package. A local
crane and reputable operator in your area would cost approximately
$100.00 per hour. An average 2,000 square foot home would
take 18-20 hours to re-erect.
HOW CAN I GET A PRICE
QUOTE FROM ORIGINAL LOG HOMES?
We can work up a price quote
based on a drawing or a floor plan. It is helpful to have a
picture or drawing of the exterior look of the home you want,
outside dimensions, and room sizes.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO
Once you place your order
with Original Log Homes, it will take approximately ten to twelve
weeks to complete construction in our building yard, plus any
waiting time for an opening in the building yard.
All content copyright 2004- Original Log Homes East